The Packers did not put on the offensive explosion many thought they would last week against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Part of it was the loss of Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings but I also believe a big part of it was the fact they played down to their competition. The Arizona Cardinals fly into Lambeau for another noon kickoff. Time to get to the Packers keys of pulling off a victory today!
1. Protection, protection, protection:
- The Packers have given up 28 sacks this season through eight games. Yes 28. That is an obscene amount for a team who hopes to make a deep playoff run. Some have been because Rodgers has held onto the ball for too long but most can be put on a lack of protection. Arizona boasts a ferocious front seven led by Daryl Washington who has blossomed into a phenomenal pass rusher and is in the top 5 in the NFL in sacks with 8. The o-line, tight ends and running backs will be counted on a lot today to keep Rodgers off the Lambeau turf.
2. Running game:
- If Randall Cobb needs to run the ball 5 or 6 times today to get this run game going then I am all for that. Alex Green isn’t even averaging three yards a carry since taking over as the starter. He needs to be patient and the line needs to open up holes so the Cardinals pass rush has to hesitate at the snap of the ball.
3. Tight ends step up:
- Jermichael Finley. You know what you need to do, so stop yapping and do it. The tight ends dropped three passes last week and with Jordy Nelson possibly out again, Finley, D.J. Williams and Tom Crabtree need to be reliable targets for Rodgers. They will also be asked to chip a lot today and slow down Arizona’s pass rushers.
4. Mason Crosby:
- Every time this guy misses a kick I am really tired of hearing or reading the Packers need to cut him. As Mike Ditka would say, “Stop It!”. Crosby is a good kicker, just happens to have missed all of his kicks over 50 yards this season outside of a 32 yarder last week that looked like had a mind of its own. I am a big believer in you Mason but get back to where you were last season when you were Mr. Clutch.
I’m Ryan Fantozzi and I approve this post.